Sunday, September 12, 2010

The JK Merit Badge

How do you hold the attention of a bunch of 12-to-15-year-old boys? That's what I kept asking myself after being invited to speak at a Boy Scout Court of Honor many years ago. That age group can be a pretty tough crowd -- not that they throw things at you or slash your tires, but you really need to have something unique that grabs their attention.

That particular Court of Honor was the biggest one of the whole year, being held only a few weeks after the week-long summer camp where every boy had earned merit badges and several had qualified  for rank advancements. I was scheduled to speak immediately after all the awards had been presented.

First, I congratulated the boys for their many accomplishments. They smiled, and their parents beamed.  Then I said something they didn't understand: "I was keeping track of all the awards that were handed out, and I'm so glad that none of you earned the 'JK' merit badge." I could tell by their quizzical looks that they hadn't a clue what I was talking about.

I said, "Don't you know what the 'JK' merit badge is?" Blank stares. I said, "The 'JK' merit badge means 'Just Kidding.' Here are some ways you can earn it: 

-- While you're reciting the Scout Oath, make the commitment "to help other people at all times," but when you go home, refuse to help when your mother asks you to take out the garbage.

-- Also, when repeating the Scout Oath, promise to do your "duty to God," but never say your prayers or read the scriptures.

-- Recite the Scout Law -- you know, the one that says "a Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent." But don't keep your word. Make fun of people behind their back. Say mean things to the kids at school or church who don't have any friends. Talk back to your parents and teachers. Disobey. Swear and tell dirty stories. Goof off in church meetings.

In other words, in everything you do, make sure people understand that even though you said you live by the Scout Oath and Scout Law, you really didn't mean any of it. You were just kidding."

I don't know if my message had any lasting effect on those boys, but for Latter-day Saints I think the "JK" concept is worth thinking about. Here's an easy exercise that might help determine if you've earned the "JK" award.

At the top of a sheet of paper write these words: "I am a Latter-day Saint . . ." Below these words, divide the paper into two columns. At the top of the first column write the word "Therefore." At the top of the second column write the word "However."  

In the 1st column, complete the phrase, "I am a Latter-day Saint, therefore . . ." in as many ways as you can. This list will reveal the ways you are striving to live your life according to the Lord's standards. If you write any statements in the second column '' "I am a Latter-day Saint, however . . ." this can reveal behaviors and attitudes that may qualify you for the JK award.

Some who write statements in the "however" column may argue, "But don't I have my agency to live as I please?" Yes, but if you are a Latter-day Saint, you already used that agency to make covenants that commit you to live by Church standards. The proof of our commitment is found in what we do, not in what we say. King Benjamin gave wise counsel when he said, "If you believe all these things, see that ye do them."

Otherwise, we're just kidding.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers